Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Cannot open Excel via icon or open Excel spreadsheets sent to me.

This may not work, but won't hurt if it fails....

I'd try reregistering excel:
Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

jws627 wrote:

I can access Excel through C:\ Program Files but cannot open it using the
icon and cannot open Excel files that I receive as email attachments. Why?
I get Error 1706 messages that say the the application is not available and
that I need to insert Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 disk, but when I
insert the disk and try to download it I have no success. ???

--

Dave Peterson