Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kevhatch

Default Golf Scores

Hi, Sorry for posting this twice but I got no replies from the first post.
I have a workbook for working out Net scores and Stableford points based
on players handicap, par of the hole and stroke index of the hole (link below)

I have had a lot of help from you guys with this(thanks) and would like to
call on you once more!
Hopefully it's just a formula tweak!
The problem I am having is that when my Gross score for a hole returns a
zero or minus Net score it won't show the points correctly
i.e.
1 over par= 1point
par=3
1 under par=2
2 under par=3
3 under par=4
4+under par=5
Hole 17 on the 19/04/2006 highlights the problem
(I didn't get a hole in one :-(, just hit the wrong key when I entered the
score, but I can dream!! Entering the correct score"2" has the same effect)
Hope it makes sense to someone.

http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=rtD2lKXd

Thx in advance
Kev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kevhatch

"kevhatch" wrote:

Hi, Sorry for posting this twice but I got no replies from the first post.
I have a workbook for working out Net scores and Stableford points based
on players handicap, par of the hole and stroke index of the hole (link below)

I have had a lot of help from you guys with this(thanks) and would like to
call on you once more!
Hopefully it's just a formula tweak!
The problem I am having is that when my Gross score for a hole returns a
zero or minus Net score it won't show the points correctly
i.e.
1 over par= 1point
par=2
1 under par=3
2 under par=4
3 under par=5
4+under par=6
Hole 17 on the 19/04/2006 highlights the problem
(I didn't get a hole in one :-(, just hit the wrong key when I entered the
score, but I can dream!! Entering the correct score"2" has the same effect)
Hope it makes sense to someone.

http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=rtD2lKXd

EDIT: If the Gross Score would return a value of "0" for the Net Score, then the points would be 1 more than is currently being returned, "-1" would be 2 more etc.etc.

Thx in advance
Kev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

I looked at your post the last time (a couple of weeks ago, wasn't it?) but
your link had xml files. If you convert it to an xls file I'll have a look.

Biff

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kevhatch

Thx for your time Biff,
New link below.
Kev

http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=r9n3m6nY

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Gross score for a hole returns a zero

How can you have a gross score of 0? Or did you mean when the gross score
cell is empty?

Change the formula for the net score to: (I'm using the 17th hole cell that
you mention in the post):

=IF(Y11="","",Y11-INDEX(Chk!$A:$S,MATCH($C11,Chk!$A:$A,0),MATCH(Y$5, Chk!$A$5:$S$5,0)))

Change the formula for the points to:

=IF(Z11="","",IF(OR(Y$4-Z11<-1,Y$4-Z114),0,VLOOKUP(Y$4-Z11,{-1,1;0,2;1,3;2,4;3,5;4,6},2)))

I can't figure out what this expression is for:

OR(Y$4-Z11<-1,Y$4-Z114)

You'll notice that I changed it from 3 because if you aced the par 3 your
total net strokes under par would be 4 and because you previously had
Y$4-Z113, that was causing the return of 0. Also, in the Vlookup call you
didn't have the 4 under values: 4,6.

See if that works out for you.

Biff

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael M

Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

P.S. to Kev:

You really don't need that stroke chart, sheet CHK, but I didn't want to
completely redo your setup so I just tweaked the formula you asked about.

Michael, what do you have in mind?

Stableford scoring is pretty much unique to each club. They make up their
own rules. I did a score sheet a couple of weeks ago for a club where they
only give 1/2 or 3/4 strokes for hdcp.

Biff

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kevhatch

Thx Biff, will try that when I get home tonight and let you know.
"How can you have a gross score of 0? Or did you mean when the gross
score cell is empty?"

Highly unlikely I know, but if a 28 H/Capper aced a par 3 or Eagled a par
four with a stroke index of 10 or below it would return a score of "-1" and
"0" respectively, which when totalling Net strokes +28 would equal the Gross
score. As it is at the moment, it is leaving the cell blank and not returning
any Stableford points.
Hope I understood correctly and that that is what you were asking about!

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

I think we're confusing the terminology.

The gross score is the actual number of strokes. If you ace a par 3 the
gross score is 1. The net score is the gross score adjusted for your hdcp
and then the Stableford points is totally separate based on the net score.

Biff

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael M

Hi gents
The reason I asked about location was that the US has a different
calculation method than Aust.
I have a little Worksheet that I input the scores into and it calcs gross &
nett Stableford.

However, I can't post it to an outside site due to our IT restrictions.
I can E-Mail it though, if you're interested.

If you both E-Mail me at (Remove the
CAPS)
I will send it as an attachment.
It may not be what you need, but might be worth a look.

Regards
Michael M

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!

"kevhatch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kevhatch

Hi Biff,
Yes, I understand the Gross/Net score, think probably just the way I wrote it.
I meant......... """Highly unlikely I know, but if a 28 H/Capper aced a par
3 or Eagled a par four with a stroke index of 10 or below it should return a
Net score of "-1"(1 stroke minus H/cap allowance of 2 strokes = -1) and "0"
(2 strokes minus H/cap allowance of 2 strokes = 0) respectively, which when

You also wrote:-
"I can't figure out what this expression is for:
OR(Y$4-Z11<-1,Y$4-Z114)"
I caniballised a larger programme I have that I use for competitions with
friends. I think this is to take into account the Stroke Index and Par
changes on the different courses we play.
This is also why the "chk sheet is there".

I've posted the whole programme,

http://www.flypicture.com?display=updone&id=r9nwlKzf

Sheets S.C. Day1,2 etc are the basis for my original post.
Thx for you patience, wish I understood the Formulae better, learning bit by
bit!
Kev

"Michael M" wrote in message
Hi Biff and Kevhatch
Just a little side question here.
Are you doing this scoring system for the USA or somewhere else.
If it's Australia I'll get involved, otherwise I'll sit on the side.

Regards
Michael

Hi!