Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cmoore

Default match number in a string of numbers

I have a column of 5 digit numbers, the first 3 digits are an item code and
the last 2 identify which customer it is going to. In an adjacent column I
have the quantity of the product is being pulled by the customer.

How do I lookup the last 2 digits, to identify the customer, and get the
quantity that is being pulled without having to go through the sheet of
hundreds of different orders?

I am stuck.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Let's say you order numbers are in column A and amounts are in column B. In
C1 enter

=RIGHT(A1,2) and copy down. This will display your customer id.

Next pull_down:

Data Filter Autofilter This will permit you to select any particular
customer id and view only that customer's rows of data.
--
Gary''s Student

"cmoore" wrote:

I have a column of 5 digit numbers, the first 3 digits are an item code and
the last 2 identify which customer it is going to. In an adjacent column I
have the quantity of the product is being pulled by the customer.

How do I lookup the last 2 digits, to identify the customer, and get the
quantity that is being pulled without having to go through the sheet of
hundreds of different orders?

I am stuck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

You could combine the SUMPRODUCT and RIGHT functions.

In C2

=SUMPRODUCT((RIGHT(A1:A500,2)*1=Your customer ID)*(B1:B500))

If you also need to incorporate the product number then:

=SUMPRODUCT((RIGHT(A1:A500,2)*1=Your customer
ID)*(LEFT(A1:A500,3)*1=Your Product number)*(B1:B500))

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

This will total quantity for customer 44

=SUMPRODUCT(--(RIGHT(A2:A10,2)="44"),--(B2:B10))

HTH