Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Faz1

Default Help - Separating numbers appearing on the right of a text string

I need to separate the number from the right of a text string into its
own cell.

For example in the data:

"Salaries - Aides / Assistants 3708"
"Classroom Stationery & Materials 21"

I want to return 3708 and 21 as the value of the formula. Note that
there are spaces and the number lengths vary.

Does anybody know a formula I can write to extract this floating
numeric string which is not a fixed length and at the right of the text

string.

What this means is that I need to find the position from where the
numbers in the string start, and using the MID and LEN functions I can
specify this value to get the number extracted into its own cell.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Here's one crack at it ..

Assuming the strings are in A1 down

Try in B1:
=MID(A1,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8; 9},A1)),SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;
5;6;7;8;9},A1))),LEN(A1)-MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},A1)), S
EARCH({0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9},A1)))+1)+0

Copy B1 down
--
Rgds
Max
"Faz1" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to separate the number from the right of a text string into its
own cell.

For example in the data:

"Salaries - Aides / Assistants 3708"
"Classroom Stationery & Materials 21"

I want to return 3708 and 21 as the value of the formula. Note that
there are spaces and the number lengths vary.

Does anybody know a formula I can write to extract this floating
numeric string which is not a fixed length and at the right of the text

string.

What this means is that I need to find the position from where the
numbers in the string start, and using the MID and LEN functions I can
specify this value to get the number extracted into its own cell.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stefi

Try Data/Text to columns (Fixed length)!

Regards,
Stefi

Faz1 ezt *rta:

I need to separate the number from the right of a text string into its
own cell.

For example in the data:

"Salaries - Aides / Assistants 3708"
"Classroom Stationery & Materials 21"

I want to return 3708 and 21 as the value of the formula. Note that
there are spaces and the number lengths vary.

Does anybody know a formula I can write to extract this floating
numeric string which is not a fixed length and at the right of the text

string.

What this means is that I need to find the position from where the
numbers in the string start, and using the MID and LEN functions I can
specify this value to get the number extracted into its own cell.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Sample construct at:
http://www.savefile.com/files/4680644
Separating_Numbers_From_Text_Faz1_gen.xls
--
Rgds
Max