Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
grahammal

Default Hyperlinks & Drop down menu

I have a list of Hyperlinks in cells A1 to A25.
I have named this cell range as 'proliants'.
I've created a dropdown menu that displays this range but it only
displays them
as normal text and not as a list of Hyperlinks.
Can this be achieved in a dropdown menu, comboBox or anything else?
I want to be able to select a Hyperlink from the menu, and away she
goes.

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could use an adjacent helper cell that contains a formula like:

=if(x1="","",hyperlink(x1))

(where x1 contains the data|validation (is that what you used for the
dropdown?))

Or you could plop a button near the dropdown that does the linking.

I'd put a little button from the Forms toolbar next to the dropdown.

I'd assign this macro to it:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
With ActiveSheet.Range("a1")
If .Value = "" Then
'do nothing
Else
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=.Value
'or depending on what's in that list
'ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="Http://" & .Value
End If
End With
End Sub

grahammal wrote:

I have a list of Hyperlinks in cells A1 to A25.
I have named this cell range as 'proliants'.
I've created a dropdown menu that displays this range but it only
displays them
as normal text and not as a list of Hyperlinks.
Can this be achieved in a dropdown menu, comboBox or anything else?
I want to be able to select a Hyperlink from the menu, and away she
goes.

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537163

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
grahammal

I have tried both methods but no joy yet.

My Hyperlink list is in cells A2 to A60. I've named this range '
proliant '.
All these links are to Word documents on the same drive.

My drop down menu is in cell C10 and was created using
Data/Validation.
I tried putting =if(C10="","",hyperlink(C10)) in cell C12 but I get a
'Cannot open the specified file' message.

I created a Button from the Forms menu and put the following in it.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
With ActiveSheet.Range("C10")
If .Value = "" Then
'do nothing
Else
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=.Value
'or depending on what's in that list
'ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="Http://" & .Value
End If
End With
End Sub

This errors at the
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=.Value
line.

Any clues??

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537163

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
grahammal

Have modified the
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=.Value
line to read
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="D:\Downloads\HP ProLiant Spare
parts\" & .Value
This is where all the Word Docs are.
Still no joy.
Do I need to add a '.doc' extention to it perhaps, if so, how?

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537163

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe...

ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink _
Address:="file:////" & "D:\Downloads\HP ProLiant Spare parts\" & .Value

(Watch the folder name--I wasn't sure about the spaces.)

grahammal wrote:

Have modified the
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=.Value
line to read
ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="D:\Downloads\HP ProLiant Spare
parts\" & .Value
This is where all the Word Docs are.
Still no joy.
Do I need to add a '.doc' extention to it perhaps, if so, how?

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537163