Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcus

Default Ranking Data

Hello,
What I am trying to do is get a ranking based off of data. Example: I
have a database with store #'s and their sales. I want to be able to rank who
did the best in sales on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, and return it to a
different sheet than what the data is kept in. Anyone got any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Say your original data is in Sheet1 column A. In Sheet2, A1 enter:

=LARGE(Sheet1!A:A,ROW()) and copy down

The highest value will be first, the second highest nextm etc.
--
Gary's Student

"Marcus" wrote:

Hello,
What I am trying to do is get a ranking based off of data. Example: I
have a database with store #'s and their sales. I want to be able to rank who
did the best in sales on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, and return it to a
different sheet than what the data is kept in. Anyone got any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Marcus

I also want the store # with it. Example. Sheet1 Column A is the store #,
Column 2 is the sales. I want to return both columns based of the highest
sales.

"Marcus" wrote:

Hello,
What I am trying to do is get a ranking based off of data. Example: I
have a database with store #'s and their sales. I want to be able to rank who
did the best in sales on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, and return it to a
different sheet than what the data is kept in. Anyone got any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

O.K., we modify the ranking formula because your original sales data is in
column B:

=LARGE(Sheet1!B:B,ROW()) (still in column A of Sheet2)

Now we have to do the equivalent of VLOOKUP to get the store number:

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A" & MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)) (in another column of Sheet2)
--
Gary's Student

"Marcus" wrote:

Hello,
What I am trying to do is get a ranking based off of data. Example: I
have a database with store #'s and their sales. I want to be able to rank who
did the best in sales on a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, and return it to a
different sheet than what the data is kept in. Anyone got any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Hi Gary''s Student, surely INDEX is preferable to INDIRECT.....

=INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0))

although there will be problems with this approach if there are
ties......

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

You are correct, INDEX() works just fine. I only wish we could use VLOOKUP
here.
--
Gary's Student

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

Hi Gary''s Student, surely INDEX is preferable to INDIRECT.....

=INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0))

although there will be problems with this approach if there are
ties......

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537046

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

What about overcoming the problem with tied values - if you have two
second placed stores then only the first in the list will be reported.
The way I have overcome this in the past is to have a helper column
which records the position of the item, then use this to determine the
range to use for the next LARGE function (using INDIRECT - it gets
messy).

Pete