Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
three6ohchris

Default Shared Workbook Locked for Editing

Hello,

We are using a shared workbook in an office with up to 25 users sharing
the workbook at any given time. Currently we are getting an error that
states "locked for editing by user - "XXXXXX" Read Only...."

The problem is that the username is generic and could by anyone. We
have had everyone log out of excel to clear it up, but it is still
giving us that same error. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to
"kick" whichever user is locking it up so that we can gain access again?
Our plan is that once we get in there we will have everyone correct the
username fiasco by placing unique info in there, but until then we are
stuck.

I appreciate any assistance!

Oh yeah, it's Excel 2003.
Thanks!

--
three6ohchris
three6ohchris's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=13195

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Try a Taskmanager view of Processes to see if you have any hidden
occurrences of Excel.exe on each machine in the system, then (probaly
at night) ensure that all pc's shutdown to release any spurious locks.

Alternatively you may be able to copy the workbook to a different area
and use that temporarily, I doubt that you will be able to rename the
original until you release the lock.

Hope this helps

--

three6ohchris Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
three6ohchris

Bryan Hessey Wrote:
Try a Taskmanager view of Processes to see if you have any hidden
occurrences of Excel.exe on each machine in the system, then (probaly
at night) ensure that all pc's shutdown to release any spurious locks.

Alternatively you may be able to copy the workbook to a different area
and use that temporarily, I doubt that you will be able to rename the
original until you release the lock.

Hope this helps

--

Thanks for the suggestions. We are going to have to wait for the night
to roll around and the network connections to reset. Hopefully tomorrow

--
three6ohchris
three6ohchris's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=13195
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536673

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

If the TaskMgr proved fruitless, yes. Of course, you need only one
network connection to reset, but experience always shows that's the
last one, and usually one that you have to seek out after all others
have gone.

Good lucl