Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ronco

Default Microsft Query: Excel, date parameter cell doesn't work.

For importing external data into Excel, I use Microsoft Query. If I use
parameter =#7/28/2005# in the query itself, it works, but it doesn't work
if, in Excel, I want to "Get the value from the following cell" or "Use the
following value".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic

Ronco,

What happens when you use Get value from the following cell?

What value is the cell you are using? What is the format of the cell? Date?

I have no problems using a date field in a parameter MS Query. Although I
have to use a specific format because the data I am querying uses a
proprietary date format.

"Ronco" wrote:

For importing external data into Excel, I use Microsoft Query. If I use
parameter =#7/28/2005# in the query itself, it works, but it doesn't work
if, in Excel, I want to "Get the value from the following cell" or "Use the
following value".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ronco

Dominic, when I use the Get value from the following cell, an error msg box
"Bad parameter type. Microsoft Office Excel is expecting a different kind of
value than what was provided." comes up.

The cell format is Date 3/14/01. When I use a cell value of 7/28/05, it
works, but the value =7/28/05 doesn't. The "=" part is what Excel doesn't
like. I've tried every variation I can think of: =#7/28/05#, ='7/28/05',
etc., but I still can't get it to work. I have to edit the query each time I
want to change the date.

"Ronco" wrote:

For importing external data into Excel, I use Microsoft Query. If I use
parameter =#7/28/2005# in the query itself, it works, but it doesn't work
if, in Excel, I want to "Get the value from the following cell" or "Use the
following value".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dominic

Ronco, you should leave 7/28/05 in the cell.

The = goes in the Query Design grid in MS Query.

For example:

=[Parameter Name]

instead of just

[Parameter Name]

Does that help?

"Ronco" wrote:

For importing external data into Excel, I use Microsoft Query. If I use
parameter =#7/28/2005# in the query itself, it works, but it doesn't work
if, in Excel, I want to "Get the value from the following cell" or "Use the
following value".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ronco

Thanks, Dominic, it worked. That was so simple I'm embarrassed. It's the
input I needed for other queries as well. Thanks again.