Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
saziz

Default squaring a number

Hi,
Is there a built-in command for squaring a number in Excel?
If I have a number say 5 in a cell A1 to do 5 x 5 how would I do it
other than
'=a1 x a1'

Thanks
Aziz

--
saziz
saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6350

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
davesexcel

=POWER(A1,2)
2 is squared if you want cubed then 3, etc..

--
davesexcel

davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536201

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

One way

Use the exponentiation operator "^"

In say, B1: =A1^2

--
Max
Singapore

"saziz" wrote:

Hi,
Is there a built-in command for squaring a number in Excel?
If I have a number say 5 in a cell A1 to do 5 x 5 how would I do it
other than
'=a1 x a1'

Thanks
Aziz

--
saziz
saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6350
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536201

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith

There is a power function in Excel, and an exponentiation operator. So your
choices a

=a1*a1
=a1^2
=Power(a1,2)

Does this help?

Fred

"saziz" wrote in message

Is there a built-in command for squaring a number in Excel?
If I have a number say 5 in a cell A1 to do 5 x 5 how would I do it
other than
'=a1 x a1'

Thanks
Aziz

--
saziz
saziz's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536201

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Using the caret(^) found on the keyboard you construct a formula...............

=5^2 returns 25 which is 5 squared

=5^3 returns 125 which is 5 cubed

Or you can use the more unwieldy POWER function.

=POWER(5,2) to return 25

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:53:45 -0500, saziz
wrote:

Hi,
Is there a built-in command for squaring a number in Excel?
If I have a number say 5 in a cell A1 to do 5 x 5 how would I do it
other than
'=a1 x a1'

Thanks
Aziz