Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M John

Default Either/Or in Conditional Formatting

Hello,
As a user selects from a list, I'm trying to get Excel to color the cell
according to the selection.
As an example:
If the question is "Are you hungry?"
The choices could be "Yes", "No", "Not right now", "How long 'til lunch?",
"I'm starving".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored green for "Yes" and "I'm starving".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored yellow for "Not right now" and
"How long 'til lunch".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored red for "No".

In CF, I've tried "Formula Is" and =OR("Yes","I'm starving")
Also: "Cell Value Is" and ="yes"+"I'm starving".....
among other unsuccessful attempts.

Any help would be appreciated.

MJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

It sounds like you have just missed out the cell reference to be tested
Formula Is
= A1 =OR("Yes","I'm starving")

Change A1 to whatever the correct cell reference is that contains your
answer

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"M John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

M John wrote:
Hello,
As a user selects from a list, I'm trying to get Excel to color the cell
according to the selection.
As an example:
If the question is "Are you hungry?"
The choices could be "Yes", "No", "Not right now", "How long 'til lunch?",
"I'm starving".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored green for "Yes" and "I'm starving".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored yellow for "Not right now" and
"How long 'til lunch".
I would like the cell to be (say) colored red for "No".

In CF, I've tried "Formula Is" and =OR("Yes","I'm starving")
Also: "Cell Value Is" and ="yes"+"I'm starving".....
among other unsuccessful attempts.

Any help would be appreciated.

MJ

Use a formula of

=OR(A1="Yes",A1="I'm starving")

assuming the data is in the A column and A1 is the activecell when you
go into CF.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

Sorry, having a totally senior moment then.
That should have been
=OR(A1="Yes",A1="I'm starving")

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"M John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M John

Hey, no problem. Solution works...that's my only concern.
Many thanks and much admiration.

MJ