Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DCSwearingen

Default Changing Behavior of the <Enter Key?

I have a spreadsheet that is locked, with certain cells that are
unlocked for operator entry.

In a locked spreadsheet, pressing the <Tab key will move the focus to
the next unlocked cell.

Is there a macro that will change the behavior of the <Enter key to
mimick the behavior of the <Tab key in this scenario?

--
DCSwearingen

DCSwearingen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21506
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535912

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

You would need to create two macros.

1)If you want this to happen automatically when the workbook is open, place
the first macro in ThisWorkbook of Personal.xls or the relevant workbook :

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.OnKey "~", "TabPgm"
End Sub

2)Then in a regular module :

Public Sub TabPgm()
SendKeys "{TAB}"

End Sub

"DCSwearingen" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is locked, with certain cells that are
unlocked for operator entry.

In a locked spreadsheet, pressing the <Tab key will move the focus to
the next unlocked cell.

Is there a macro that will change the behavior of the <Enter key to
mimick the behavior of the <Tab key in this scenario?

--
DCSwearingen

DCSwearingen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21506
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535912

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Brown

You can certailnly do this with Excel 2003 onwards, I'm not sure about
Excel 2002, I know you can't do it with Excel 2000 and earlier.

With Excel 2003, when you protect a document, you get an option of what
you want to protect, two of the options are Select locked cells and
Select unlocked cells, make sure that the first is unchecked and the
second is checked. You then achieve, your objective

--
Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DCSwearingen

Many Thanks Patricia!!

This worked beautifully. I know the operators will appreciate the
change as they originally asked if it were possible.

A generic "Thank You" goes out to everyone who responds to the
questions posted. I know I read a lot of questions that peak my
interest and mentally file the suggested solutions for future
reference.

--
DCSwearingen

DCSwearingen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21506
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535912

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad it worked.
I'm also glad Gary gave additional info for those for whom my method
wouldn't work.