Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hmm

Default Sort a column of formulas

Suppose I have ten numbers in cells A1 - A10. In cells B1 - B10, I have
formulas, each one referring to the neighbor cell in column A.

I want to sort column B ascending without touching column A. For example,
if the smallest value was in B6, I want the formula in B6--including its
reference to A6-- to be transferred to B1, etc.

I tried doing this in my Excel 2000 and it did not work. Should it? If
yes, what could be the problem? If no, is there another way to achieve the
same result? Thanks.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

I imagine that after you did your sort the cells were re-located, then
the formula re-calculated, and if it were the same relative formula in
each cell guess it would look like it didn't sort at all.

You could Copy column B, then Paste Special = Values back over itsself
before the sort.

Hope this helps

--

hmm Wrote:
Suppose I have ten numbers in cells A1 - A10. In cells B1 - B10, I
have
formulas, each one referring to the neighbor cell in column A.

I want to sort column B ascending without touching column A. For
example,
if the smallest value was in B6, I want the formula in B6--including
its
reference to A6-- to be transferred to B1, etc.

I tried doing this in my Excel 2000 and it did not work. Should it?
If
yes, what could be the problem? If no, is there another way to achieve
the
same result? Thanks.

Thanks.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535862

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hmm

What you suggested would not work because I want to keep the formulas, in
case column A values change. However, your reply did hint at the solution:
by using absolute references, I was able to sort the formulas. Now the next
question is how to convert all the relative references to absolute ones,
without having to go to every cell one by one and pressing F4!

hmm Wrote:
Suppose I have ten numbers in cells A1 - A10. In cells B1 - B10, I
have
formulas, each one referring to the neighbor cell in column A.

I want to sort column B ascending without touching column A. For
example,
if the smallest value was in B6, I want the formula in B6--including
its
reference to A6-- to be transferred to B1, etc.

I tried doing this in my Excel 2000 and it did not work. Should it?
If
yes, what could be the problem? If no, is there another way to achieve
the
same result? Thanks.

Thanks.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535862

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Perhaps in column C you could put

="A"&MATCH(SMALL(B$1:B$10,ROW()),B$1:B$10,0)

to show the ascending order of column B by reference to column A.

--

hmm Wrote:
Suppose I have ten numbers in cells A1 - A10. In cells B1 - B10,

have
formulas, each one referring to the neighbor cell in column A.

I want to sort column B ascending without touching column A. For
example,
if the smallest value was in B6, I want the formula in

B6--including
its
reference to A6-- to be transferred to B1, etc.

I tried doing this in my Excel 2000 and it did not work. Should

it?
If
yes, what could be the problem? If no, is there another way to

achieve
the
same result? Thanks.

Thanks.

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:

View this thread:

Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535862

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Hi Gary''s Student,

I wonder, if the formula in column B is, as is indicated, a standard
incrementing formula, copied down the column, then the sequence would
normally be the same sequence as column A.

If this is true then, assuming the formula were something like (say)
*4+2, the formula from B1 downwards should be:

=INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(SMALL(A$1:A$10,ROW()),A$1:A$10 ,0))*4+2&" from
A"&MATCH(SMALL(A$1:A$10,ROW()),A$1:A$10,0)

would be more informative in that the OP would not need to visit each
cell in B to see where the formula originated, and would be in
ascending sequence.

-note, it doesn't handle duplicates, for that one would need to use
column C as =A1+row()/100000000 and in column B from B1 onwards use
=INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(SMALL(C$1:C$10,ROW()),C$1:C$10 ,0))*4+2&" from
A"&MATCH(SMALL(C$1:C$10,ROW()),C$1:C$10,0)
column C could remain hidden.-

--

hmm Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

I like your approach:

1. It does not disturb the formulae in column B
2. It provides the sort
3. It avoids VBA
--
Gary's Student