Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Default Sort a column of formulas

Perhaps in column C you could put

="A"&MATCH(SMALL(B$1:B$10,ROW()),B$1:B$10,0)

to show the ascending order of column B by reference to column A.

--

hmm Wrote:
What you suggested would not work because I want to keep the formulas,
in
case column A values change. However, your reply did hint at the
solution:
by using absolute references, I was able to sort the formulas. Now the
next
question is how to convert all the relative references to absolute
ones,
without having to go to every cell one by one and pressing F4!

"Bryan Hessey" wrote:

I imagine that after you did your sort the cells were re-located,

then
the formula re-calculated, and if it were the same relative formula

in
each cell guess it would look like it didn't sort at all.

You could Copy column B, then Paste Special = Values back over

itsself
before the sort.

Hope this helps

--

hmm Wrote:
Suppose I have ten numbers in cells A1 - A10. In cells B1 - B10,

have
formulas, each one referring to the neighbor cell in column A.

I want to sort column B ascending without touching column A. For
example,
if the smallest value was in B6, I want the formula in

B6--including
its
reference to A6-- to be transferred to B1, etc.

I tried doing this in my Excel 2000 and it did not work. Should

it?
If
yes, what could be the problem? If no, is there another way to

achieve
the
same result? Thanks.

Thanks.