Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dig

Default Heights

What do the row heights or column widths numbers mean? Is it pixels, mm,
inches?

How do I cange them if I need to set the columns to inches?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

From the Excel Help file:

Measurement units and rulers in Excel
Unlike Microsoft Word, Excel does not provide a horizontal or vertical
ruler, and there is no quick way to measure the width or height of a
worksheet in inches. Excel uses characters, points, and pixels as units of
measurement.

The width of cells is displayed in characters and pixels rather than in
inches. When you drag the boundary of a column heading to adjust the width of
a column on the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the width in characters and
shows pixels in parentheses.

The height of cells is displayed in points and pixels rather than in inches.
When you drag the boundary of a row heading to adjust the height of a row on
the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the height in points and shows pixels in
parentheses.

An approximate conversion of points and pixels to inches is shown in the
following table.

Points Pixels Inches
18 24 .25
36 48 .5
72 96 1
108 144 1.5
144 192 2

HTH,
Elkar

"Dig" wrote:

What do the row heights or column widths numbers mean? Is it pixels, mm,
inches?

How do I cange them if I need to set the columns to inches?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Dig

Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch
and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

http://snipurl.com/dzz8

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:29:02 -0700, Dig wrote:

What do the row heights or column widths numbers mean? Is it pixels, mm,
inches?

How do I cange them if I need to set the columns to inches?

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP