Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PE

Default Program carshes on opening a file

I have Office XP and recently when I try to open a file via FileOpen I get
the hourglass continuously on the screen and nothing happens. If I click
anywhere while the hourglass is showing, "program not responding" comes up
on the title bar. I can open a file by going into Windows Explorer and
double clicking it. Also, having opened a file via Explorer if I try to
Save As the program again stops responding.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to put this right.

Same thing happens in Word!

Many thanks.

Al

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe...

Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
update MS06-015

Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742

There's a link to Kelly's Korner in that article:

Scroll down to near the bottom of the list--find #383.

On the righthand side is:
HP's Share-to-Web Software - Fix More info: (MS06-015)

It's a link to a .vbs (scripting file) that updates the registry to fix the
problem if it was caused by the HP software.

--

Dave Peterson