Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
metiz

Default displaying letters as average instead of numbers

Hi everyone

I'm having trouble with a small project I'm working on at school. I
have to calculate the average of a couple of numbers in excel but i
wan't to return the answers in letters.

there are 5 possibilities

A=10
B=8
C=6
D=4
E=2

I want to be able to input the letters A through E
and then get an average in letters and numbers. something like this

a+b+b+c+e=6.8 =B
b+c+e+e+a=5.6 =D

is this possible?

thanks in advance

--
metiz
metiz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33769

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jezzica85

OK, let's say you input your five values in cells A1-A5, then have your
average in A6. In A7, put this formula:

IF(A610,"A",IF(A68,"B",IF(A66,"C",IF(A64,"D",( A62,"E")))))

I might be a little off with the parentheses, if I am, sorry, but this
should work. This formula returns FALSE if the value in A6 is less than 2,
if you wanted it to return something else, just put a comma after "E" and
type in what you want.

If you want the equals sign with your final answer, you can do that with the
concatenate function:
=CONCATENATE("=",(put the above formula here without parentheses))

Hope that helps!
Jezzica85

"metiz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Your data is ambiguous, you have 6.8 going up to B, but 5.6 going down to D.
Assuming up

=VLOOKUP(A21,{0,"E";2.1,"D";4.1,"C";6.1,"B";8.1,"A "},2,TRUE)

where A21 holds the average.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips