darnocnad

Default The sum and average function view all numbers as zero??

Using Excel I have a list of numbers, if i use the add function it will add
them in a normal manner however, when trying to use the sum or average
function it sums to zero and the average is reported as div/0 . I have
tried to paste as values and repeat with the same result, any idea what is
going on here???
Bernie Deitrick

Your numbers are text. Format the cells for general, then enter a 1 into a blank cell. Copy that
cell, select your cells with your text-numbers, right-click and select paste special, and choose
multiply. Then click OK, and all your values should become numbers.

--
HTH,
Bernie

"darnocnad" wrote in message
Using Excel I have a list of numbers, if i use the add function it will add
them in a normal manner however, when trying to use the sum or average
function it sums to zero and the average is reported as div/0 . I have
tried to paste as values and repeat with the same result, any idea what is
going on here???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The Average function expects a range. You tried to give it another function
(value). That does not compute in Excel. Besides, you're better off turning
your data into real numbers (using the copy/paste special method), so
they're available for any other calculations.

Regards,
Fred