Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jan

Default Character limit in cell

I am using Excel 97. Please note that I inherited this file.

I have a worksheet with data that I want to copy to a "new" workbook.
Unfortunately, when I select the worksheet tab and select "move or copy" make
my other selections, I am warned that data in some cells exceeds the 255
character limit and the data at the end will be truncated.
The column in question stores comments (text). I know that cells have a
character limit. But, if that is the case why can text be entered and still
display everything that is entered; yet, Excel will cut it off if I used the
worksheet tab to make a new workbook? Excel suggests using the copy/paste
command to copy the data. This doesn't help to automate the process.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Do you mean that you're automating this via code?

You can copy the sheet, then go back and get the contents (to preserve those
cells with long text):

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

Dim fWks As Worksheet
Dim tWks As Worksheet

Set fWks = ActiveSheet

fWks.Copy _
after:=fWks

Set tWks = ActiveSheet 'newly created

fWks.Cells.Copy _
Destination:=tWks.Range("a1")

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jan

Dave,

Thank you for responding. I was hoping I would not have to use code because
I don't have much experience with it. Also, why I have inherited the file as
the primary user, it will also be accessed by others who never heard of VBA
code.

I guess I need to find another alternative.

Thanks much.
Jan

Jan wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You don't need to use code.

Copy the sheet the way you normally do, but then go back and copy the cells and
paste them into the new worksheet.

It's a couple of steps, but your cells with long text will be ok.