Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eilish

Default reverse sorting

Hi,

I know it is fairly easy to sort a random list of high, low, medium that
groups all the High's Medium's and LOw's together. but what if you had a list
of
Example 1:
High
High
Medium
Medium
Low
Low

and wanted the following instead
High
Medium
Low
High
Medium
Low

I have tried combinations of sorting but they group the values together,
like in example 1 above.

Any ideas greatly appreciated
Eilish
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Therese

Hi
Here is a solution of a somewhat more creative kind. I am sure you can make
it a whole lot easier. But I'd insert an extra column next to, give that
column numbers and then sort by this new column. After that I'd hide the
extra column so that it isn't visible.
Hope it's in use until you find a better way.
--
Therese

"Eilish" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

With your list of values in Col_A, beginning in A1

B1: =COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)
Copy down as far as needed

Select both columns of data
<Data<Sort
Sort by:
Column B (ascending)
Column A (ascending)
Click the [OK] b utton

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Eilish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eilish

Hi Therese,

Thanks for the quick reply - I assigned values, 1,2,3 etc to each
High,Medium and Low and then sorted by this extra column by using my custom
list and it works a treat!

This is so neat and quick i reckon it will do the job nicely!

Cheers
Eilish

"Eilish" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eilish

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick response, I inserted the formula and it works great but
only if I don't sort by Col A only col b using my custom sort but it does
work and thats what I needed.

Your answer gives me a quick way of entering numbers and Therese's
suggestion of hiding this field makes it appear that it is more sophisticated!

Many Thanks to all for suggestions

"Eilish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Therese

But now I have a problem...I can't pose a question!!! I am logged in but can
only answer.
--
Therese