Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
muskiediver

Default using vlookup to find phone numbers online

How can I create a vlookup function to automatically retrieve phone
numbers off switchboard.com using my current mailing list?

I have a list of more than 4,000 of my customers. I want to ad in
phone numbers automatically. I currently have the first and last name
in one column. The address, city, state and zip are all each in their
own column.

I have never use vlookup before, nor have I ever used excel other than
for data entry. What is the easiest and most efficient way to do
this?

I searched this site and seen vlookup mentioned for this type of
automatic data entry. There may be another way or method I am not
aware of. If so please advise.

Thank you.

I am using Microsfot Excel 2002 on Windows XP.

--
muskiediver
muskiediver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33384

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
muskiediver

Someone must have an idea? Either that or this is something very
simple. My apoligize if I am unaware of something. That is why I
posted here. For help, assistance and guideance. Please let me know
and thank you.

--
muskiediver
muskiediver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33384
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532113

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andrew Taylor

VLOOKUP() is used for looking up values with a table in a worksheet,
so it's unlikely to help you here. There are two ways you might be
able to get the data from the web site: (1) Web Query
(Data/NewWebQuery)
(2) a macro using the XMLHTTP object. Either of these may or may not
work depending on exactly how the site works. (And some sites take
meausres to prevent automatic querying, e.g. to prevent flooding, or
to make you see their ads.)