Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chuck Bowser

Default Can only exit the program from the file menu

I can only exit the excel program using exit on the file menu. The x at the
upper right is black at first but if I try to use it it grey's out and
doesn't work. I've looked through the help files, I've tried to run the
latest service packs and even uninstalled and reinstalled the program.
--
If you are willing to win by any means
then you''''ve already lost
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John James

Curious.

The excel program "X" in the top right hand corner is white on red, not
black.

Blind leading the blind perhaps, but here goes:

It sounds a bit like there may be a macro attached to an Application
before close procedure. Being a relative novice in VBA, I'm not sure
where to look for this, but try this:

Could you please eliminate the possibility that some mysterious
automatic macro is not starting on Excel opening or an excel workbook
opening, by holding the shift key down when you start Excel and the
workbook(s).

Then press Alt + F11 to look at what macros are in the open workbooks.

Look for a Workbook_BeforeClose macro against any project. (this may
be another possible spot for it)

I assume there might be an Excel Application Object with an Application
before close procedure. If there is then this may be the culprit.

The other thought is to go to tools-options-Security and set your macro
security high - and then reopen excel and see what happens. I guess
another possibility is that you've got a problem Add-in. Select Tools
Addins and uncheck any possible problem ones temporarily and see if
this fixes it.

If this isn't it, then its certainly outside my expertise.

--
John James
John James's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32690