Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Default Revert back to original sort

This may be a stupid question but I have a worksheet full of data and I
inserted a column a where I placed an x next to important data I wanted to be
able to pull to the top. I then sort my data by column a and excel pulls all
my x'd entries to the top. Nice, that's what I wanted. Now I play with my
data some more and print the first page with the important stuff and then I
want to go back to how my data was originally entered. I tried to go to data
- sort - sort by - none but I get an error that I can't sort by none. So,
how do I get back to my original view of my data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you don't have a key to resort it on, you're out of luck.

And you couldn't do Edit|undo or close without saving???

If you have to do it again, insert a helper column. Put 1, 2, 3, ... down that
column. Then you can sort the whole range as many times as you want and just
resort by that helper column.

As an alternative, you may want to consider just using Data|Filter|autofilter on
that column with the X's. Then you can filter to show the X's and show all the
data when you're done--so sorting at all.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Chances are, that the original data was sorted on one column or another.
Just find that column and sort on it. If not, you're SOL.

BTW, in the future you might consider the AutoFilter to bring all your "x"'s
together for editing and reporting, then just un-AutoFilter and the data all
returns to its original status.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3