Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mitch

Default High CPU when editing fields

Hi,
We are using excel 2003. on Window XP Professional
When one of our employee's edits a cell by clicking "F2" and "Enter", the
cpu of the excel.exe file goes spikes to %70 everytime slowing down the
computer. The file is located on his computer and not the network. I had
shut down McAfee virus software which I thought maybe scanning it without
success. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith

It sounds like modifying the cell is causing Excel to recalculate. Depending on
the complexity of the file, recalculation could take a while. What happens when
you set calculation to manual in ToolsOptions?

Fred

"mitch" wrote in message
We are using excel 2003. on Window XP Professional
When one of our employee's edits a cell by clicking "F2" and "Enter", the
cpu of the excel.exe file goes spikes to %70 everytime slowing down the
computer. The file is located on his computer and not the network. I had
shut down McAfee virus software which I thought maybe scanning it without
success. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mitch

When I set it to manual, the cpu goes very low which is a quick resolve. Is
there a setting on the computer or excel that can some how reduce the cpu and
keep the employee on automatic? It has been a bit difficult for the guy.
Could there be something in the operating system that maybe interfering?

Mitch

"mitch" wrote in message
We are using excel 2003. on Window XP Professional
When one of our employee's edits a cell by clicking "F2" and "Enter", the
cpu of the excel.exe file goes spikes to %70 everytime slowing down the
computer. The file is located on his computer and not the network. I had
shut down McAfee virus software which I thought maybe scanning it without
success. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith

There won't be anything in the operating system interfering with Excel. You must
have a lot of calculations that Excel must do. Excel automatically goes into
smart Recalc mode, which recalculates only what's necessary. Do you have a lot
of Sumifs or Vlookups? You either need to find whatever it is which is causing
Excel to take so much time to recalculate, use manual recalc, or put up with the
auto recalc time.

Fred