Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ArthurN

Default =SUMPRODUCT

Hi,
I saw this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A65536<""),--(B2:B65536=""))
And I have no idea what "--" means, I tried searching the manual and the
internet but found nothing.
ArthurN
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Domenic

Have a look at the following link...

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

Cheers!

In article ,
ArthurN wrote:

Hi,
I saw this formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A65536<""),--(B2:B65536=""))
And I have no idea what "--" means, I tried searching the manual and the
internet but found nothing.
ArthurN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Carim

To put it simply, Sumproduct() is a function which ignores alphabetic
cells,
the operator -- ( called Unary Minus ) transforms alpahabetic cells
into numbers : 0 and 1, thus allowing combination with all other
numeric cells ...

Hope this clarifies
Carim

--
Carim
Carim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33259

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teodomiro

Carim Wrote:
To put it simply, Sumproduct() is a function which ignores alphabetic
cells,
the operator -- ( called Unary Minus ) transforms alpahabetic cells
into numbers : 0 and 1, thus allowing combination with all other
numeric cells ...

Hope this clarifies
Carim

I had never encountered this problem before. I discovered Sumproduct
he http://www.excel-vba.com/e-formula-sumproduct.htm

He uses an asterisk in place of the comma, like this:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:B10=C1)*(B1:B10)). This works just fine. I understand
the use of the double negative above, but I don't see why using the
asterisk would alleviate that problem. Can someone explain what's
going on there?

--
Teodomiro

Teodomiro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33140
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=531246

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Here's a more extensive explanation by Bob Philips:

HTH,

RD

"Teodomiro" wrote
in message ...

Carim Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teodomiro

Ragdyer Wrote:
Here's a more extensive explanation by Bob Philips:

Perfect. Thank you!