Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lakebum

Default Passworded Spreadsheet

I have a spreadsheet that was passworded by someone else and I need to make
some changes. I tried to do as a save as and renamed it but it still has a
password on it. Any suggections??

--
Thanks Lakebum

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

you might be able to copy and paste the whole sheet into a new workbook.
This only works if they have not selected "hidden" (by default it is not
selected ). If they did select hidden, then they obviously do not want you
to have access to the formulas. That is about as much hacking help as you
are going to get on this forum.

"Lakebum" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that was passworded by someone else and I need to make
some changes. I tried to do as a save as and renamed it but it still has a
password on it. Any suggections??

--
Thanks Lakebum

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

Don't know that moderators would make any difference - the method for
brute-force cracking the password has been known and widely publicized
for years. I finally posted one version on my site in order to cut down
on the number of duplicate newsgroup posts...

Yes, it's a PITA that XL security is so weak. But IMO it's *essential*
that users not be kept ignorant.

It constantly amazes me how much business-critical information is sent
to clients, or sometimes competitors, under the assumption that
worksheet password protection will keep it secure. It's *so* much easier
to negotiate when you know your vendor's markup...

In article ,
Sloth wrote:

Wow, geuss I was wrong about not getting help. Good thing there are no
moderators here.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

I agree with you for the most part, but it just seems taboo to talk about
hacking Excel's Security on a forum run by Microsoft.

Sloth wrote:

Wow, geuss I was wrong about not getting help. Good thing there are no
moderators here.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

First, workbook and worksheet protection aren't considered by MS (or
anyone else who's been informed) to be in any way related to "security".
In fact, XL04's help describes them this way (Help, "About protecting
workbooks and worksheets from changes" topic):

Caution The features in Microsoft Excel for hiding data and
protecting worksheets and workbooks by using passwords are not
intended to be used as mechanisms for securing data or protecting
confidential information.

Second, that's the nice thing about these newsgroups. They're *not* run
by MS, they exist on thousands of news servers all over the world, and
they're archived by Google from nearly their inception.

MS has its own servers that host and provide web portals to the
newsgroups, at least in part, because it saves them millions of dollars
by providing free tech support. So it's critical *to them* that the
information be frank and credible.