Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tonystowe

Default Count and Rank problem

Here is the run down:

Col A = Date - Self explanatory
Col B = Office - This column will list the same 10 offices multiple
times as
reports indicate.
Col C = Report - This column will show the details reported on an
specific
office.

In Col D I am using =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"Sales") in order to count the
number of instances that SALES is entered into Col B.

Problem

I want to use the RANK function to look at the cell Counting the number
of instances of "SALES" and RANK it in comparison to the number of times
the other offices have been listed.

If its possible to combine these two functions into one cell that would
be even better.

--------------------

Thanks before hand for anyone interested in helping me with this
problem.

Tony

--
tonystowe
tonystowe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33162

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Assuming D2 to D11 contains the counts (COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"<office"), then
you could use:

=RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11)

Or if D2 contains Sales count

=RANK(COUNTIF(D2,D2:D11)

HTH

"tonystowe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tonystowe

Toppers Wrote:
Assuming D2 to D11 contains the counts (COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"<office"),
then
you could use:

=RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11)

Or if D2 contains Sales count

=RANK(COUNTIF(D2,D2:D11)

HTH

[/color]

Thanks for your reply. I could not get the =Rank(countif(d2,d2:d11) to
work as an error message indicating too few arguments pops up.

While =RANK(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales"),D2:D11) did work with only
"SALES" as its que, how do I make it rank sales when I have other
offices such as shipping, receiving, orders, etc. I do account for ALL
offices and for the formula to rank each as the reports are added?

Thanks

--
tonystowe
tonystowe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33162
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=530202

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Sorry ... complete aberation ..
should be

=rank(d2,d2:d11)

d2 will contain =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"sales")
d3 will contain =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$500,"finance")

etc

Again, my apologies.

"tonystowe" wrote:

Toppers Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tonystowe

Thanks while I couldn't figure that out on my own it is beginning to
make sense. Again, Thanks

Tony