Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BorisS

Default "accept labels in formulas"

what is the option "accept labels in formulas", under Calculation tab of
Options?

I read the help, but it doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
--
Boris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

If there is a label to the left of a value the formula will reference the
label text in the formula, while picking up the associated values. It can be
useful when trying to identify what the value is associated with in complex
formulas. You can produce the same result by naming a range.

Salary 1.500.00
Deductions 345.55
Insurance 288.22

Using labels the formula to produce Net Pay would be
Salary-Deductions-Insurance

--
Kevin Backmann

"BorisS" wrote:

what is the option "accept labels in formulas", under Calculation tab of
Options?

I read the help, but it doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
--
Boris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Hi Boris, Kevin,

However, it is not very well developed. There are problems if you try to reference other sheets, name conflicts do not show
clearly, UDF's behave unreliably, intersection doesn't seem to work as it should, the labels do not show up in the Paste Names
menu, etc.
General advice (not just mine!) is not to use this feature.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"BorisS" wrote:

what is the option "accept labels in formulas", under Calculation tab of
Options?

I read the help, but it doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
--
Boris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

I personally don't use it but if you have it checked and you have a header
(label) called Amounts in A1 and numbers in A2:A10, instead of using

=SUM(A2:A10)

you can use

=SUM(Amounts)

Peo Sjoblom