Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JimS

Default Cell Population based on a Table

How can I populate a cell based on "various values" of another cell?

Column A contains the 2-Character Abbreviations for all the States
(United States that is). I would like to populate Column B with the
“Area” that the state is in based on my predetermined mapping.

In example: MA, NJ, NY are in the East Area, VA, MD, NC, SC are in the
MidAtlantic Area, IL, ND, SD, IW are in the MidWest Area, TX, FL, LA
are in the South Area, etc

Can a formula do this or does it need a Macro. I would think that I
would need to build a reference table for the “States to Area”
mapping/relationship.

--
JimS
JimS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9876

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ardus Petus

You do need a reference table with col States & col Area

Then you can search that table using VLOOKUP

HTH
--
AP

"JimS" a écrit dans le
message de ...

How can I populate a cell based on "various values" of another cell?

Column A contains the 2-Character Abbreviations for all the States
(United States that is). I would like to populate Column B with the
"Area" that the state is in based on my predetermined mapping.

In example: MA, NJ, NY are in the East Area, VA, MD, NC, SC are in the
MidAtlantic Area, IL, ND, SD, IW are in the MidWest Area, TX, FL, LA
are in the South Area, etc

Can a formula do this or does it need a Macro. I would think that I
would need to build a reference table for the "States to Area"
mapping/relationship.

--
JimS
JimS's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529644

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I would create a new worksheet (call it sheet2).

Put the 2 character abbreviation in column A and its associated region in column
B.

Then I'd use a formula in an adjacent cell:

=if(a2="","",vlookup(a2,sheet2!a:b,2,false))