Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David

Default How can I remove the tax from a total to get the pre tax value ?

If I try to remove 17.5% (UK Value Added Tax) from a total it's also
calculating the additional 17.5% on the original value as well. How can I get
to the true original value?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vandenberg p

Hello:

Strong argument for basic alegbra.

Let $T = amount of tax
let i= tax rate
let x = inclusive amount
let y = amount exclusive of tax
x = y + t*y
x = y*(1+t)
x/(1+t) = y
$T = x - y
or in one formula:
$T = x - x/(1-t)
Row/Col A B
19 Example
20 t= 0.175
21 x= 1
22 $T = 0.14893617 =C21-C21/(1+C20)
23 y = 0.85106383 =C21-C22
24 y = 0.85106383 =C21/(1+C20) Alternative

Pieter Vandenberg

David wrote:
: If I try to remove 17.5% (UK Value Added Tax) from a total it's also
: calculating the additional 17.5% on the original value as well. How can I get
: to the true original value?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

Divide figure by 47, then multiply by 7.
Eg. 117.5 / 47, then * 7 = 17.5

HTH
--
Big Rick

"David" wrote:

If I try to remove 17.5% (UK Value Added Tax) from a total it's also
calculating the additional 17.5% on the original value as well. How can I get
to the true original value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

TaxedPrice = OriginalPrice*(1.175)
So: OriginalPrice = TaxedPrice / 1.175
With TaxedPrice in A1 use =A1/1.175
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"David" wrote in message
If I try to remove 17.5% (UK Value Added Tax) from a total it's also
calculating the additional 17.5% on the original value as well. How can I
get
to the true original value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Total amount in A1

=A1/(1+0.175)

will give you the non taxed values

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"David" wrote in message
If I try to remove 17.5% (UK Value Added Tax) from a total it's also
calculating the additional 17.5% on the original value as well. How can I
get
to the true original value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David

Just a brief Thanks to all that responded.
Rick's was the first option I tried and that worked a treat!

All the best!
DD