Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ingeniero1

Default How to protect some cells, but able to insert rows elsewhere?

I need to protect cells A1:C6, but be able to modify B1, and need to
insert and delete rows below row 6.

I selected the entire worksheet, unlocked the cells, then locked cells
A1:C6, and unlocked B1. Thi worked fine for cell contents - when I
protect the sheet, the cells are protected as I wanted, but I cannot
insert or delete rows anywhere.

Is there a way to accomplish the cell content protection as I did
above, but be able to also insert and delete rows?

Thanks!

Alex

--
Ingeniero1
Ingeniero1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

in later versions of Excel this is possible. When you choose Tool
Protect select the actions you want users to be able to perform before
you set the password.

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ingeniero1

Ed,
"-...in later versions of Excel ...-"
How recent version? The one I am using here is Excel 2000, and the
options for protecting the sheet are for Contents, Objects, and
Scenarios. These do not affect the ability to delete or insert rows;
that is, regardless of which I check, I cannot insert or delete rows
once the sheet is protected.

Thanks

Alex

--
Ingeniero1
Ingeniero1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4029
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

I'm using 2003, so I guess it came in somewhere after 2000 - sorry I
can't help - it may be possible using vba.

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Infinity

Excel 2000 does not have that function :( . If I am not mistaken it
started from Excel 2002.

Rgds.

--
Infinity
Infinity's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32725

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ingeniero1

OK, I appreciate that.

Now to the challenge of figuring out an alternate way of doing it -
hmmm....

If anyone can figure out how to accomplish this 'long hand', please
let us know.

Then again, maybe I can convince the IT department to upgrade me to
2003. ;)

Thanks all the same! :)

Alex

--
Ingeniero1
Ingeniero1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4029
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

I guess they could only do as you can now - the features in a
spreadsheet created by a later version are not avaialable to users of
an earlier version that does not have them.

ed