Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tenaj

Default Help! Newbie

HI everyone. Newbie here. I have an easy question.lol I hope it is
easy but it is hard for me. I know how to do very basic excel
formulas, however this one threw me for a loop. =SUM(A1-1)

5 - A1
4
3
2
1
0
how do I tell it to subtract from 10 rather than one it should
continue
9
8
7
6
5
I need for it to wrap back to A-1

I will use 4 digits (cells) and enter different numbers and the first
one can be 0. If I enter 1234 in cells A1,B1,C1,D1 these should be the
result. I used some if statements but it didn't work.

Example

1234
0123
9012
8901
7890
6789
5678
4567
3456
2345
1234

Thanks for your help.

tenaj

--
tenaj
tenaj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32691

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

A......B......C......D
1.......2......3.......4

Enter this formula in A2 and copy across to D2:

=IF(A1=0,9,A1-1)

Then select A2:D2 and copy down as needed.

Biff

"tenaj" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

One way:

A2: =MOD(A1-1,10)

Copy across and down as required.

In article ,
tenaj wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tenaj

Thank you guys for helping out.

I used this formula first, and got exactly what I asked for. Thank
you

=IF(A1=0,9,A1-1)

5 5 5 5
4 4 4 4
3 3 3 3
2 2 2 2
1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0
9 9 9 9
8 8 8 8
7 7 7 7
6 6 6 6
5 5 5 5

However there are two sides and the right side is Subtract 1 first
number, subtract 2 second number, subtract 3 third number and subtract
4 second number. I copied the formula to the right side and just
changed the -1 to corresponding columns and this is what I got. Why
it's the same formula just in different cells. When you subtract 2,3
and 4 the If statement doesn't work. I would appreciate any help you
can give me.

5 5 5 5
4 3 2 1
3 1 -1 -3
2 -1 -4 -7
1 -3 -7 -11
0 -5 -10 -15
9 -7 -13 -19
8 -9 -16 -23
7 -11 -19 -27
6 -13 -22 -31
5 -15 -25 -35

--
tenaj
tenaj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32691
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=525094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Not sure I understand what you want but try this modified version of JE's
formula:

=MOD(A1-COLUMNS($A:A),10)

Copy across then down.

Will return this:

[...]