Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chriscana

Default Advanced Excel Drop down List

This seems like something that should be simple, but I can't figure it
out.

I have an excel spreadsheet being used as a time sheet. I am using drop
down lists to select a job code using lists and data validation.

However, I would like to set up a drop down list where when a user
selects the description for a job code, it automatically places the job
code in the drop down cell.

for instance: Let's say I have two lists side by side. The first list
is descriptions (Holiday) and the second list is codes (PX1430.) I
would like a drop down list so when a user selects "Holday" it
automatically put the code in the cell.

How is this possible?

--
chriscana
chriscana's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32643

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron de Bruin

Hi chriscana

You can use a Vlookup formula

See

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"chriscana" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chriscana

I have tried for awhile to get Vlookup to work to no avail.

Can someone give me a quick example to work with? I did some searching,
and none of the examples seems to match this situation.

I have two sheets in the workbook: TIME_SHEET and JOB_CODES

On the JOB_CODES sheet I have two columns: JOB CODES and JOB NAMES.B3
to B90 are codes. C3 to C90 are descriptions for the codes. For
example: B3=HOL890 and C3=Holiday Pay.

On the TIME_SHEET sheet I basically have a column with data vaildation
drop downs on the cells - you can drop down the cell and select the job
code. For instance: HOL890.

What I would like it to do, is instead of dropping down the cell and
selecting the job code, I would like to be able to drop down the cell
and select the the job description instead, but have the cell fill in
with the job code instead of the job description.

Does anyone have a quick example of that? Thank you kindly.

--
chriscana
chriscana's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32643
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524485

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Brown

Attached is an example of the vlookup required

|Filename: Example vlookup.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4491 |

Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524485

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chriscana

Thanks for the effort and for the sample file!

That is very close to what I want. However, I do not want two columns
on the time_sheet sheet. I only want one column named JOB. It would
drop down with a list of the job descriptions, just like you have it in
the example. However, when you chose the description from the drop down,
I want the code to list in the JOB column. Basically: one column with a
dropdown. You drop down, select a description, and the cell puts in the
job code.

Just like what you have but with one column instead of two.

Is this even possible with VLOOKUP?