Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bobak

Default prompt user to change source of links

I have an Excel based reporting pack that is linked to an Excel file
containing the data for my reports. The name of the Excel data file is
changed at least twice a week and saved as a new version with a date suffix.

When i open my report file I want make the user select the most recent
version of the data file by changing links to this file and updating them. Is
there a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Please describe the particular convention as to how the new filename is
structured each week. ........is it something like "DataFile_030306", and
"DataFile_031006", etc etc?..........something that Excel can predict based
on today's date.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bobak" wrote:

I have an Excel based reporting pack that is linked to an Excel file
containing the data for my reports. The name of the Excel data file is
changed at least twice a week and saved as a new version with a date suffix.

When i open my report file I want make the user select the most recent
version of the data file by changing links to this file and updating them. Is
there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bobak

There would be no way to predict the name - I would like Excel to display the
explorer structure to enable the user to select a file.

"Bobak" wrote:

I have an Excel based reporting pack that is linked to an Excel file
containing the data for my reports. The name of the Excel data file is
changed at least twice a week and saved as a new version with a date suffix.

When i open my report file I want make the user select the most recent
version of the data file by changing links to this file and updating them. Is
there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could just train them to use edit|links--
or use a macro to show that dialog:

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpenLinks).Show

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Jim Cone has a nice Add-in that may be of help to list the files in a
directory and allow you to select the one you want...........it's called
ListFiles and is available at
http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware/

hth
Vaya con Dios,