Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CraigR53

Default Time over 24 hours

I'm creating a custom timecard to compute time spent by a given employee on
various projects. When I try to add daily totals together to get weekly
totals and that total exceeds 23:59, I can't find a format that will display
it as such -- it always reduces it to a time under 23:59. (Example: 14:30 +
12:18 = 26:48, but it displays as 2:48) How can I fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Format Custom as [h]:mm

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"CraigR53" wrote in message ...
I'm creating a custom timecard to compute time spent by a given employee on
various projects. When I try to add daily totals together to get weekly
totals and that total exceeds 23:59, I can't find a format that will display
it as such -- it always reduces it to a time under 23:59. (Example: 14:30 +
12:18 = 26:48, but it displays as 2:48) How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
albertmb

Hi,

I tryed this and it worked, hope it works for you to

14:30 (Cell A1) 12:18(Cell B1)
A1*24 (Cell A2) B1*24(Cell B2)
TRUNC(A2) (Cell A3) TRUNC(B2) (Cell B3)
A2-A3 (Cell A4) B2-B3 (Cell B4)
(A4*60)/100 (Cell A5) (B4*60)/100 (Cell B5)
A3+A5 (Cell A6) B3+B5 (Cell B6)

TOTAL A6+B6

The cells working the formulas can be hidden by marking the row height to 0

Hope I was helpfull

"CraigR53" wrote:

I'm creating a custom timecard to compute time spent by a given employee on
various projects. When I try to add daily totals together to get weekly
totals and that total exceeds 23:59, I can't find a format that will display
it as such -- it always reduces it to a time under 23:59. (Example: 14:30 +
12:18 = 26:48, but it displays as 2:48) How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CraigR53

Much thanks to you both. Niek's answer was what I needed to fix my problem
and finish deveoping the timecard. I now have a daily timecard (which, when
printed, can fit on one page) on which the user enters "in" time
(CTRL+SHIFT+;), task description, and department code. When the task is
completed, the user enters "out" time, which then becomes the "In" time for
the next task. The spreadsheet imediately updates total daily time for each
department as well as total for the day, and updates a weekly summary that
also reflects total by department and week, and compares those totals to
budgeted times.

All I needed was Niek's formula, and about 4 hours. I started using the
timecard today, and it seems to work fine.