Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Janet T

Default Worksheet Template

Can anyone tell me how I can create a worksheet template, with the fonts,
layout, etc that I specify, that will be inserted into a workbook when I
click Insert/Worksheet? I have already tried creating a single sheet
document, which I have saved as an .xlt file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\XLStart, but this wasn't picked up when I used the Insert
command. I saved the file as 'worksheet template.xlt'.
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Janet T" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how I can create a worksheet template, with the fonts,
layout, etc that I specify, that will be inserted into a workbook when I
click Insert/Worksheet? I have already tried creating a single sheet
document, which I have saved as an .xlt file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\XLStart, but this wasn't picked up when I used the Insert
command. I saved the file as 'worksheet template.xlt'.
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Straight from the Excel help system, accessible from your menu:

Create a sheet template for new worksheets
1.. Create a workbook that contains one worksheet. On the worksheet,
include the formatting, styles, text, and other information you want to
appear on all new sheets of the same type.

2.. On the File menu, click Save As.
Show Me

3.. In the Save as type box, click Template (*.xlt).

4.. In the Save in box, select the folder where you want to store the
template.
To create the default worksheet template, select either the XLStart folder
or the alternate startup folder. The XLStart folder is usually
C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart
where os is the operating system folder - for example, Windows.

To create a custom sheet template, select the Templates folder, which is
usually
C:\os\Profiles\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
where os is the operating system folder - for example, Windows.

5.. In the File name box, type sheet to create a template for default
worksheets.
To create a custom sheet template, type any valid file name.

6.. Click Save, and then click Close on the File menu.

Attached Images

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Janet

Wrong XLSTART folder.

Try this one................

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

The other steps you have taken look correct. Make sure you save as SHEET.XLT

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 05:12:27 -0800, Janet T
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can create a worksheet template, with the fonts,
layout, etc that I specify, that will be inserted into a workbook when I
click Insert/Worksheet? I have already tried creating a single sheet
document, which I have saved as an .xlt file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\XLStart, but this wasn't picked up when I used the Insert
command. I saved the file as 'worksheet template.xlt'.
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jitty

Doug
Thanks for your help with this. I'm sure I followed all of these steps
correctly, but I will double-check.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Regards
Janet

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Janet T" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jitty

Gord
Thanks for your help with this. I will save as sheet.xlt. I have also
found out that you can right-click the sheet tab and use Insert from there to
select a sheet in the templates window.
Thanks again.
Regards
Janet

wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can create a worksheet template, with the fonts,
layout, etc that I specify, that will be inserted into a workbook when I
click Insert/Worksheet? I have already tried creating a single sheet
document, which I have saved as an .xlt file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\XLStart, but this wasn't picked up when I used the Insert
command. I saved the file as 'worksheet template.xlt'.
Thanks for your help.
Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

You used a different name. If you want the template to be the one Excel
defaults to when you simply want a new, blank sheet, you must name it
"sheet.xlt". You can give other templates any name you want, but for that
special sheet, the name is important. The instructions I copied came from
the Excel 2000 help system. Not sure if later versions are different, so
check your help thing. I simply put the words "default template" in the
search window, and came up with these instructions.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Janet T" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jitty

doug
Once again, thanks for putting so much effort into your reply. I really
appreciate it (I need all the help I can get with Excel!)
Best regards
Janet

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Janet T" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

You're welcome. It really WAS a lot of effort, Janet. I had to move my
coffee cup in order to type. pant...pant..pant....