Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Larry S.

Default How do I sum more than one column in a PivotTable?

I have created a Pivot Table that looks exactly as I want it. I have a group
of people listed with their departments and a list of planned hours. My
pivot table gives totals of the planned hours by department. This works
perfectly. My problem now is, I need to add actual hours to both the detail
and summary tables (and probably calculate a variance). I have not been able
to do this, and every time I try to create another table, it gives me a count
of people by department. Please help. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish

Have you added an Actual Hours field to the source data, and included
that field in both pivot tables?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Larry S.

In the detail spreadsheet, I have Name, Department, Maximum Utilization (Per
Week), and Actual Utilization (Per Week). Right now I have departments going
down in the Pivot Table. The heading of the Pivot Table says Sum of Maximum
Utilization (Per Week) The second column says Total, this is the sum of each
departments planned utilization and is correct. What I want to do is add a
third column for actual and a fourth for variance %. The closest I have
gotten is creating a second line for each department with the actual
utilization. Please help!! Thanks.

Larry S. wrote:
I have created a Pivot Table that looks exactly as I want it. I have a group
of people listed with their departments and a list of planned hours. My
pivot table gives totals of the planned hours by department. This works
perfectly. My problem now is, I need to add actual hours to both the detail
and summary tables (and probably calculate a variance). I have not been able
to do this, and every time I try to create another table, it gives me a count
of people by department. Please help. Thanks.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish

If you drag the Actual Utilization field to the data area, it should add
a column with Sum of Actual. Then, you can add a calculated field with
the variance formula.

To add a calculated field, select a cell in the pivot table, and choose
PivotTableFormulasCalculated Field.

Larry S. wrote:

I have created a Pivot Table that looks exactly as I want it. I have a group
of people listed with their departments and a list of planned hours. My
pivot table gives totals of the planned hours by department. This works
perfectly. My problem now is, I need to add actual hours to both the detail
and summary tables (and probably calculate a variance). I have not been able
to do this, and every time I try to create another table, it gives me a count
of people by department. Please help. Thanks.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Larry S.

I am still not doing it correctly. It is adding a row for each department
and not adding an additional column.