Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Update a workbook from a script

Hi all,

I have a client that uses Excel workbooks to gather data. Anytime logic
changes within the workbook, the workbook must be redeployed and is
then assumed to be used by the interested parties. This is not strictly
enforced. What I would like to do is, instead of having to redeploy a
workbook when minor logic changes are made to formulas, create a script
that corrects the formulas that are failing. I was thinking of doing
this as an Excel Add-In, but the issue is that the people using the
workbooks are not Excel savvy enough to install and run an Add-In. The
client also would not allow an executable to be deployed to everyone,
so .NET is out. Any suggestions on how I could approach this?

Regards,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

This isn't an approach...just a warning.

Your program that updates the formulas is gonna have to be really smart. If the
users inserted or deleted rows or columns or even created new sheets (or renamed
sheets), it could get hairy really fast.

And if the user decided to make multiple copies of the workbook, how would you
know which ones to update.

If you can't trust the users to get a fresh copy of the workbook, how could you
trust them to run your addin to update all their workbooks.

This sounds more like a training issue (well, to me).

Sorry to drizzle on your parade, but good luck.

--

Dave Peterson