Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
saybut

Default Transpose!!

Hi, I have quite a tricky problem.. (I've attached a sheet as an
example, I'll explain it further down)

I have a list of names in column a (a very large amount), there are
lots of duplicate names, and next to them in column b are the
categories associated with each name. So if a name is repeated 5 times
in column a, it will have 5 different categories.

I need to summarize it so that I only have 1 name per person, but all
of the categories associated with the person going along in each column
as per the sheet attached.

I've been trying to figure it out but can't do it (except manual paste
specialtranspose which would take me weeks!)

If anyone has any idea how I could possibly automate this I'd be very
grateful.

thanks very much for any suggestions.

regards.

|Filename: Example_Transpose.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4426 |

saybut
saybut's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5949
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519801

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FinRazel

create two new columns having the following formulas:
Column C: =IF(A2=A1,CONCATENATE(B2,", ",C1),B2)
Column D: =IF(A2=A3,1,0)

(This is assuming that A is your "names" column, and B is your "Categories"
column, and that Row 1 contains column names or is blank)

After you have filled down, sort the spreadsheet by column D (so all the
zeroes are first)

This should arrange things so the upper portion of you spreadsheet contains
the combined categories for every name, and each name is listed only once.

--
Anne Murray

"saybut" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Hi,
Try this - input from "Sheet1" to output "Sheet2"

Sub a()

Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long, n As Integer
Dim rnga As Range
r = 2

Set ws1 = Worksheets("Sheet1")
Set ws2 = Worksheets("Sheet2")

ws2.Range("a1:f1") = Array("E-Mail", "Category", "Category", "Category",
"Category", "Category")

With ws1
lastrow = ws1.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Set rnga = ws1.Range("a2:a" & lastrow)
Do
n = Application.CountIf(rnga, .Cells(r, "A"))
.Cells(r, "A").Copy ws2.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)(2)
.Cells(r, "B").Resize(n, 1).Copy
ws2.Cells(ws2.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row, "B").Resize(1,
n) _
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll, Operation:=xlNone,
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=True
r = r + n
Loop Until r lastrow
End With
End Sub

"saybut" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
saybut

Hi, thank you so much for your replies, they're brilliant, thanks a
lot.

I've ended up using yours Anne just for the simplicity and the speed.

Thanks very much again for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark.