Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LPS

Default Excel 200 Formatting

Why is it, with Excel 2000, when you change the text orientation to vertical
and / or invoke text wrapping, and then try to use the auto row height
feature (double-click on the row divider), the row height snaps to about 5
times what it needs to be? There are no spaces or blank lines in any of the
cells within the rows yet the rows all jump to a height way beyond the length
of the text. When cell orientation is returned to the default horizontal and
text wrapping is removed, the cell height snaps to the default for the
current font.

This is driving me nuts... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thx.
--
LPS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Do you have any hidden columns in your worksheet?

Does the cell in that hidden column on that troublesome row have lots of text?

Excel will use those hidden cells when autofitting a rowheight.

LPS wrote:

Why is it, with Excel 2000, when you change the text orientation to vertical
and / or invoke text wrapping, and then try to use the auto row height
feature (double-click on the row divider), the row height snaps to about 5
times what it needs to be? There are no spaces or blank lines in any of the
cells within the rows yet the rows all jump to a height way beyond the length
of the text. When cell orientation is returned to the default horizontal and
text wrapping is removed, the cell height snaps to the default for the
current font.

This is driving me nuts... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thx.
--
LPS

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LPS

I have unhidden all rows and columns and there are no merged cells. Hmmm...

I have tried using the Format | Rows | Autofit feature but nothing seems to
change it. Is this a glitch with text wrapping?
--
LPS

LPS wrote:

Why is it, with Excel 2000, when you change the text orientation to vertical
and / or invoke text wrapping, and then try to use the auto row height
feature (double-click on the row divider), the row height snaps to about 5
times what it needs to be? There are no spaces or blank lines in any of the
cells within the rows yet the rows all jump to a height way beyond the length
of the text. When cell orientation is returned to the default horizontal and
text wrapping is removed, the cell height snaps to the default for the
current font.

This is driving me nuts... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thx.
--
LPS

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The only time I recall seeing this is with hidden cells (that contain long
text).

You sure you don't have anything in the other cells in that row?

Sorry, I don't have any better guess.

LPS wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LPS

Nope, there is nothing else hidden... from reading other posts it seems as
though this is a bug with Excel. Guess it will have to be manually adjusted,
unless someone else has a suggestion.

Thanks for your prompt help.
--
LPS

LPS wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Maybe its the font you are using, try it with times roman or arial. Turn off
Bold
or
You may be using toolbar buttons to set your wordwrap or orientaion.
Maybe use the dialog.

Format cells Alignment.