Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Loraloo

Default IF and OR statements

Hi. I would appreciate any you might give with this multiple IF formula. I
am trying to compare the first few letters in Cell B15 to certain cells
(words). If B15 contains these characters, then I want to perform a
calculation, if it does not match, it should check the next condition (word).
This is what I've been trying to do so far but it is not working. The first
IF condition works alone but after I've added multiple if statements I am
getting a #value error. Maybe I do not have the right parentheses?

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Prin",B15)),F15*B2), IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Grad",B15)),
F15*B4), IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Under",B15)), F15*B5 ...If none of these
conditions, then it should =B2.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Maybe I do not have the right parentheses?

Yep!

Try this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Prin",B15)),F15*B2,IF(ISNUMBER( FIND("Grad",B15)),F15*B4,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Under", B15)),F15*B5,B2)))

Side note: FIND is case sensitive. SEARCH is not.

Biff

"Loraloo" wrote in message
Hi. I would appreciate any you might give with this multiple IF formula.
am trying to compare the first few letters in Cell B15 to certain cells
(words). If B15 contains these characters, then I want to perform a
calculation, if it does not match, it should check the next condition
(word).
This is what I've been trying to do so far but it is not working. The
first
IF condition works alone but after I've added multiple if statements I am
getting a #value error. Maybe I do not have the right parentheses?

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Prin",B15)),F15*B2), IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Grad",B15)),
F15*B4), IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Under",B15)), F15*B5 ...If none of these
conditions, then it should =B2.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Loraloo

Bif,
Thanks for the quick response...the formula works now. Those nasty
parentheses! Also thanks for the tip about SEARCH. I think I'll use it
instead. Much obliged. Loraloo

Hi!