Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
arja

Default sequential formula copying

I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

What's the formula look like?

I'll bet there's a reference to F1 that looks like this: F$1 or $F$1. Remove
the $ before the 1 so that you have either: F1 or $F1.

Biff

"arja" wrote in message
I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is
the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Rich

Sounds like Manual Calculation is set.

Go to ToolsOptionsCalculation and set to "Automatic".

Alternative..........the cell refs have been made Absolute by placing $ signs
like

=$F$1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:38:27 -0800, "arja"
wrote:

I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
arja

Hi Biff,

Thank you very much. Hit the nail on the head and everything works fine.
Spent hours on that stupid thing. Do you know of a way to get rid of the $
sign in the first place as Gord mentioned? See his reply to my question in
my original posting. I am set on automatic in the calculation tab. I'm also
going to ask him. Thanks again for a great response.

Rich

"arja" wrote in message
I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is
the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
arja

Hi Gord,

Thank you very much for your help. The $ sign was the answer previously
provided by Biff was the answer. You hit on it too. I am set on
"automatic". Do you know how I can get rid of the $? I don't know how to
change the cell refs from "absolute"

Thank you again for your fast response to my problem.

Rich

wrote:

I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
arja

Gord,

Thanks again. Don't know if I can handle this but I'll give it a try.
You've been very kind with your time.

All the best,

Rich

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Rich

Manually you can select each cell, select the cell refs and cycle through the
combinations using the F4 function key.

OR use a macro to do all cells at the click of a button. Below are four macros.

The Sub Relative() is the one you want for your particular problem. Just select
the range and run the macro.

Sub Absolute()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(cell.Formula, _
xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteRow()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(cell.Formula, _
xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsRowRelColumn)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteCol()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(cell.Formula, _
xlA1, xlA1, xlRelRowAbsColumn)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub Relative()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.HasFormula Then
cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(cell.Formula, _
xlA1, xlA1, xlRelative)
End If
Next
End Sub

Gord

wrote:

I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Gord, wouldn't it work to simply select the cells with the $ to be eliminated
and then Edit - Replace the $ with nothing?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

wrote:

I'm trying to copy formulas down a column of many rows and I get the exact
formula in each copied row. I want the copied rows to refer to sequential
rows as F1, F2, F3, etc. What I get is every row refers to F1 which is the
original copy row.
Is this possible. TYIA

Rich

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

What if the formulas have absolute references: $F$1, $AA$100

And you only want to make the row reference relative?

Depending on how "good" you are with Edit/Replace, you may end up replacing
ALL the $ when you only wanted to replace the $ for the rows.

I guess it boils down to ones personal preferences and experience level.
Personally, I use the F4 key.

Biff