Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

Default How do I filter for more than 2 "does contain" criteria

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try something like this to use Advanced Filter:

If the filter field is "CustName", and you want to filter customers that
contain "inc" or "comp" or "LTD"......

Copy the CustName field name of to the side of the data
Assuming you paste it into cell F1:
F1: Custname
F2: *inc*
F3: *comp*
F4: *LTD*
(The asterisks are wildcards that match any text)

Next, select your data range
Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
List range: (your already selected data)
Criteria range: $F$1:$F$4
Click the [OK] button to filter the list in place

That will hide any rows where the CustName field does NOT contain the listed
criteria.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Alex" wrote:

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

For me, I like to cheat.

I use a helper column and build a formula (as complex as I need) that returns
true or false. Then I filter on that column.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron de Bruin

You can try EasyFilter if you want it easy
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Alex" wrote in message ...
I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

Hi Ron,

thanks a lot for you inputs, but this does not work in my case.

I have a column called keywords.

I added :

D12: word1
D13: word2
D14: word3

The search criteria is the following:

D4: keywords
D5: *word2*

If I start the advanced search as you explained I see only word1. Word2 and
word3 are removed. However only word2 should be visible.

I don't know what is going wrong.

Thanks,

Alex

"Alex" wrote:

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Does your list of words in the data area have a column heading?

Example:
D11: Keywords
D12: word1
D13: word2
D14: word3

etc

Criteria range:
D4: Keywords
D5: *word2* (or just word2, if you want an exact match)

"Keywords" over the criteria range tells Advanced Filter to look in the
column with that heading in the data range.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Alex" wrote:

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

The data area has a column heading:

data:

D11: Keywords
D12: word1
D13: word2
D14: word3

filter criteria:

D4: Keywords
D5: *word2*

It is not working with word2, *word2* and ="=word2".

I did everything like explained in the excel help, but it is still not
working.

Do you have any additional idea?

Thanks,

Alex

"Alex" wrote:

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

My issue is solved! It was pretty simple:

I have to mark keywords for both: data and search criteria.

Now everything is fine.

Thanks for your support!

Alex

"Alex" wrote:

I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

Hi Ron,

thanks for this nice filter tool!

I really like it!

Alex

"Alex" wrote in message ...
I want to filter a table with at least 5 "does contain" criteria.

However this is not possible with the "Auto Filter" and I couldn't figure
out how the "advanced filtering" worked.

Can anybody give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alex

Hi Dave,

this page looks pretty nice. I will add it to my favorites.

Alex