Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
fbonilla

Default Get max characters in cell in 1 column

I am trying to figure out how to get the max charcters in a column.

So if I have ten items in one column, I want to be able to put a
formula or run a macro that will count the total number of characters
in each cell and then return the max number.

thanks in advance.

--
fbonilla
fbonilla's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32011

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

=MAX(LEN(A1:A100))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"fbonilla" wrote in
message ...

I am trying to figure out how to get the max charcters in a column.

So if I have ten items in one column, I want to be able to put a
formula or run a macro that will count the total number of characters
in each cell and then return the max number.

thanks in advance.

--
fbonilla
fbonilla's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517528

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tony h

try

=Len(B3)
=len("abc")

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

=MAX(LEN(A1:A20))

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.