Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron M.

Default How to make cell auto-expand?

Ok, you told me to come here for help, so here goes, again...

Normally, when you type text into a cell (e.g. several lines of text)
then select another cell, the first cell closes back up to its original
size. You have to double-click on it to view all of the text in it.

I have a rather wide cell (about 10 cells merged together) that I often
need to enter 10-12 lines of text in. Is there some way to cause the
height of that row to automatically increase, as you type, to display
all of its text?

We need to do this so all of the text will be visible when the sheet is
printed.

Currently, we're just making the row taller by dragging with the mouse
in the left row header. It'd be a very welcome little time-saver if the
row height would just automatically increase as you typed.

Thanks a heap,
Ron M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

Go into the cell you want to change. Go to format cells and click on the
alignment tab there is a check box for "Wrap Text". Check this box. Your
cells should change with the text.
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron M.

Venco - yes, it does while you're typing, but not after you leave that
cell. After you leave the cell, it pops back to its original size.
You have to double-click on it to view all the text in it.

Ron M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

hmmmm....that should work unless you have already altered the row
height. Then it wants to keep the row height that you set. To get
around this don't change the row height. Also in a cell that you
already have changed the height go to format and then to rows then
click autofit.
This should work.
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516896

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron M.

No, it still doesn't work. I tried it on a fresh sheet. Can you
actually do this yourself? Follow these steps:

1. Open new workbook.
2. Select cells B3 through B6, and merge them.
3. Format cells to "wrap text."
4. Now type several lines of text in B3.

You can see how the cell stretches out to display the text. BUT when
you enter it and go to another cell, it pops back down to its original
height. Using linefeeds with or without text wrapping has no effect.
Neither does formatting the row to "autofit," either before or after
entering the text.

There HAS to be a way to do this!!

Ron M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

I didn't have any trouble wrapping the text if I did it before I merged
the cells. Do you need the cells merged? Also, are you just using one
column or one row and multiple columns? Can you use one cell instead of
merged cells?

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516896

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron M.

I'm not talking about wrapping the text!!!! I'm talking about the
HEIGHT OF THE ROW automatically increasing as you enter text, and
STAYING increased after you <enter it and go to another cell!

Yes, this is one row, several columns, exactly as I described above.
Are you saying that on your machine, the height of the entire row (row
B in the example above) increases and STAYS increased when you click to
go somewhere else?

Ron M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

ok first of all, as you described above, you told me to merge
B3:B6.....Thats ONE column and 3 rows!
I guess I'm not understanding what you are trying to do. Maybe with
more exact info I could help.

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516896

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron M.

ARgghhhh!! You got me!!!!

In the example above, it's (sigh...) C3:F3. Got my columns/rows mixed
up. Sorry. I'm a faceless, state government bureaucrat, with degraded
mental functioning under pressure. How embarrassing.

So I merge a few cells on one row, and I need that row's height to
automatically increase as I add text in that cell. The original
example still holds, with that correction.

Thanks,
Ron M.