Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Z

Default Multiple Instances of Excel

I noticed that if I have multiple instances of Excel, the copy and paste
functions behave differently. Specifically, if I have two instances running
and I try to copy from one instance to the other, it only copies values and
not the formulas.

First, is this normal or is just me and my environment? And second, what
other difference are there, if any? Thanks.

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"David Z" wrote in message
I noticed that if I have multiple instances of Excel, the copy and paste
functions behave differently. Specifically, if I have two instances
running
and I try to copy from one instance to the other, it only copies values
and
not the formulas.

First, is this normal or is just me and my environment? And second, what
other difference are there, if any? Thanks.

Regards

Before spending any more time (yet) figuring this out, please click Tools,
Options, View tab, and find "Windows in taskbar". If it's checked, UNcheck
it. Let me know if that eliminates the "instances", as you're calling them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and paste will
work the way you want.

If you have two instances open, the one instance of excel just sees it as a copy
from any other windows program--it doesn't have any idea what application it
came from.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

But you could still copy and paste via the formula bar, if languages and
other settings like list separators and reference styles are identical.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

David Z wrote:

I noticed that if I have multiple instances of Excel, the copy and paste
functions behave differently. Specifically, if I have two instances
running
and I try to copy from one instance to the other, it only copies values
and
not the formulas.

First, is this normal or is just me and my environment? And second, what
other difference are there, if any? Thanks.

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't like to do this either. I find it a pain.

So I asked someone who asked how to do this and their reply was so that they
could work in one instance while excel did stuff (long calculations/long running
macro) in the other.

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

I'm running Excel 2000. Unless something has changed in later versions,
Excel is happy to churn things in one workbook, while you're viewing
another, all in one instance.

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

One reason could be if you need Excel-wide settings to be different, like
Reference style and Calculation mode

--

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

Would these different settings be persistent from one startup of the program
to another? If so, how would a user designate which "profile" to start,
since all icons point to the same .EXE file?

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

No, you'd have to set them (or one of them) and keep them open all day.
BTW it still doesn't solve all issues; some settings are at Windows level,
like date formats (US vs. European) and list separators.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Are you telling me that your macros continue running when you're editing cells
in other workbooks?

And that calculation will continue in one workbook while you're busy typing away
in another?

I don't recall any version of excel that allowed that.

Calculation would always be interrupted if I did something with the
mouse/keyboard.

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Calculation mode and reference style are picked up when you open the first
workbook. You could always change those to opposite settings manually (in each
instance).

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Another advantage of multiple instances (well, to some people) is that
if you close the Excel window you only close the one file that it
contains - rather like Word.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

From what I can tell, yes, although I don't have macros than run for more
than perhaps 30 secs. Could this be an error in perception?

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think so.

If you just try a macro with simple endless loop, I think you'll see the
difference.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long
For i = 1 To 1000000000
j = i + 1
Next i
End Sub

Hit ctrl-break to get out of it.

From what I can tell, yes, although I don't have macros than run for more

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Wright

All depends on how hectic your workbook is. Excel has various internal
limits that will slow it down big time depending on what you have going on,
but all these limits are specific to that instance of Excel, so opening up
another one can allow you to do something that your current instance may
struggle to cope with as well.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If you do all your work in one instance of excel, then the copy and
paste
will
work the way you want.

Why would anyone WANT to run two instances? Is there any advantage at
all? I
see it done by mistake quite often.....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
j-dawg

I am running Excel 2000 and recently have experienced separate instances
of Excel opening each time I open a file or create a new one. Why does
this happen and how do I change it back to having only one instance
open?

--
j-dawg
j-dawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16551

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wow! Why would anyone want multiple instances??? Are you kidding?

I am a fast worker. My ideas come out fast, and I need to get them down
fast. Working in Excel, I often want multiple excel spreadsheets open. On
it's own, simply "arrange all" and you are on your way. But, I'm an
engineer, so if I'm working on Excel, it's only because it eventually needs
to get put into a ppt slide or a word doc. Here is where the trouble begins,
even with my dual displays.

Without being able to open an xls or ppt in it's own instance, one has
absolutely no control over what things they can see in which spot. For
instance, my boss wants a brand new copy of a presentation I did last week,
but with a new design template and updated information. To accomplish this,
I need two ppts open, often an xls open, and likely a couple of window
browsers.

If, like has been suggested, I expend the effort to open the two ppts and
arrange them to fit nicely together, then how do I read from the excel? Pull
up the xls and start typing in the ppt and I lose the xls (thanks to my
2-screen ppt). Resize ppt down, insert pieces of information from the xls,
and try to move the ppt back? This is a miserable waste.

I work in a restricted environment, so I can't simply get two installations
of ppt or anything else for that matter. I can't get outside software. So
I'm stuck being completely frustrated by my inability to control Office.

To me, and many of my engineer friends, this is one of THE BIGGEST
deficiencies in Office.

If you want to discuss more, please send me a message.