Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Oliman

Default Matching 2 text columns

I did this a long time ago, and it was really easy to do - but I can't
figure it out now...

I have two columns of text data...similar to this:

BOB BOB
JULIE JULIE
JEFF JOHN
JOHN ED
STEVE
ED

What I want to do is run a comparison between the two columns so it ends up
looking like:
BOB BOB
JULIE JULIE
JEFF
JOHN JOHN
STEVE
ED ED

Basically, matching column B with column A, and if there isn't a match, just
leave it blank, and vice versa.

I have about 700 items in each column, and i need to quickly see what the
differences are, and all the data is text labels...
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Hi Bill,
I used
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,B$1:B$4,1,FALSE)),"",VLOOKU P(A1,B$1:B$4,1,FALSE))
in column C and with the values you supplied starting at the tops of
columns A and B.

Ken Johnson