Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gjpcoach

Default Find text and copy and move row containing it

Is it possible to ask excel to look for a specific phrase then copy the
rows that contain that phrase and then paste the rows into a new
worksheet?

So . . .

In column A I have:

1 blue sand shoes
2 blue canaries singing
3 blue canaries wearing shoes

In this example excel would copy and past rows 1 and 3 into a new
worksheet.

If that's too complicated could it find the cells containing blue and
shoes and copy the contents of those cells into a new column?

Thanks for your help
Gillian

--
gjpcoach
gjpcoach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31900

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'd apply Data|Filter|autofilter to that column.

Then for your example:
Then use a custom filter
contains: blue
or
contains: shoes

Then copy|paste those visible cells where you want them.

gjpcoach wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gjpcoach

Thanks Dave.

I was hoping for something more automated that didn't require me to
copy and past by hand. Am I wanting something beyond Excel's
capabilities?

thanks
Gillian

--
gjpcoach
gjpcoach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31900
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516279

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you tell excel what to do in a macro, it'll do it.

Try recording a macro when you do it once manually and you'll see the code.
Then post back with more specific questions.

gjpcoach wrote:

Thanks Dave.

I was hoping for something more automated that didn't require me to
copy and past by hand. Am I wanting something beyond Excel's
capabilities?

thanks
Gillian

--