Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alice

Default Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Alice" wrote in message
My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

Thanks

Take a peek at the formatting for one of the cells and see if something
odd's going on in the number format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kassie

Hi Alice

If you click on Tools, Options and select the Edit tab, you will most likely
see that fixed decimal places have been ticked, and with 3 decimal places.
Untick and you should be OK.
hth

"Alice" wrote:

My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alice

Thanks. That was it! My mother thanks you too! :-)

Any idea how that setting would have been set, since the spreadsheets I had
did not have that problem before so it somehow was changed?

"Alice" wrote:

My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting any
numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is there
another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Alice" wrote in message
Thanks. That was it! My mother thanks you too! :-)

Any idea how that setting would have been set, since the spreadsheets I
had
did not have that problem before so it somehow was changed?

Ask around the house. Someone will say they didn't touch any of those
options. That's the person who did it. Always. No exceptions. Guilty. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

This option (fixed decimal), *as well as* the (manual - auto) calculate
option are determined per session, by the saved option of the *first* file
opened in that session.

See if this old post explains it to you:

http://tinyurl.com/anahg

--
HTH,

RD