Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

Default Numbers entered are being automatically converted ?

This option (fixed decimal), *as well as* the (manual - auto) calculate
option are determined per session, by the saved option of the *first* file
opened in that session.

See if this old post explains it to you:

http://tinyurl.com/anahg

--
HTH,

RD

"Alice" wrote in message
Thanks. That was it! My mother thanks you too! :-)

Any idea how that setting would have been set, since the spreadsheets I

had
did not have that problem before so it somehow was changed?

"Kassie" wrote:

Hi Alice

If you click on Tools, Options and select the Edit tab, you will most

likely
see that fixed decimal places have been ticked, and with 3 decimal

places.
Untick and you should be OK.
hth

"Alice" wrote:

My Excel 2003 spreadsheet is all of sudden automatically converting

any
numbers I enter by what appears to be dividing by 1000. I checked the
autocorrect function but that does not appear to be the problem, is

there
another way Excel pre-processes date entered?

Thanks