Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gjcase

Default How can I search for *?

I have a large imported list of part numbers. The problem is that some
of the part numbers contain an asterisk (*) as part of the part number.
This causes some obvious problems when doung lookups. I'd like to do a
search/replace to replace all asterisks with some other non-wild-card
symbol.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

---Glenn

--
gjcase
gjcase's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26061

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

Using Edit, Replace search for ~*

--
Jim
"gjcase" wrote in

| I have a large imported list of part numbers. The problem is that some
| of the part numbers contain an asterisk (*) as part of the part number.
| This causes some obvious problems when doung lookups. I'd like to do a
| search/replace to replace all asterisks with some other non-wild-card
| symbol.
|
| Can anyone tell me how to do this?
|
| Thanks.
|
| ---Glenn
|

| --
| gjcase
| gjcase's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=512793

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

~*
~?
and
~~

if you're doing Edit|find

In =vlookup():

=VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"~"," ~~"),"?","~?"),"*","~*"),
Sheet2!$A:$B,2,FALSE)

Is one way to handle both the wild cards and escape character.

gjcase wrote:

I have a large imported list of part numbers. The problem is that some
of the part numbers contain an asterisk (*) as part of the part number.
This causes some obvious problems when doung lookups. I'd like to do a
search/replace to replace all asterisks with some other non-wild-card
symbol.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

---Glenn